Dinnertime! Fast, tasty, organic AND vegetarian? Yes, it can be done! One of my go-to favorite soups, plus some extra veggies, spice and rice… And dinner is done. Great for busy moms who don’t have a lot of prep time every night, beginner chefs who are just learning how to combine flavors and anyone cooking for one with great leftovers for lunch or night 2 since the dish is vegetarian. This meal was created one night I hadn’t gone to the grocery store and had to get creative with what I already had in the house. So fast and so flavorful, sharing with you today my souped up vegetarian supper!
Souped Up Vegetarian Supper
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes (based on rice cook time only, less if minute rice is used)
Serves: 2 adults *multiply recipe as needed
1 – Box Pacific® Organic Spicy Black Bean & Kale Soup (get mine at Whole Foods)
3 – cloves of garlic, chopped/diced
2 cups – fresh kale, chopped (leaves from about 3 stalks)
1/2 cup – red onion, chopped
1/2 cup – uncooked Jasmine rice
2 Tbsp – EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1/2 Tsp – Turmeric
Pink Himalayan salt & Black pepper, to taste
Shredded cheese (optional)
- Mix rice and water in small pot, cook according to package directions.
- Wash kale and pull leaves from stalks.
- Peel garlic and onion
- When rice has 10 minutes left, heat EVOO in medium sauce pan on medium-low.
- Chop all kale, garlic and onion.
- Add to sauce pan and cook for 3-5 minutes while tossing with wooden spoon/spatula.
- Add pink Himalayan salt, black pepper and turmeric to the pan, toss well.
- Pour box of soup directly into sauce pan, mix and turn up heat to medium-high for 3-5 minutes.
- Once soup liquid is boiling, turn off heat.
- Remove rice pot from heat.
- Combine rice into sauce pan and mix with soup mixture. (Will start to look yellow-ish due to turmeric)
- Divide into serving bowls.
- (Optional) Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Hope you enjoy my souped up vegetarian supper sometime soon! Also try adding rice and veggies to other favorite soups of yours to expand one boring box into a whole delicious dinner!